The 34 year-old suffered a seventh career defeat against Coyle in the British lightweight contender’s hometown of Hull before being made a surprising and somewhat eyebrow-raising offer by the man who had just defeated him minutes previously.
“After the Coyle fight, every man and his dog came to my room, including Tommy Coyle’s father, saying; ‘Oh thank you for bringing the best out of him,’ – but of course they are going to say that,” Katsidis exclusively told World Boxing News.
“I had almost the whole family come upstairs and thank me, but I wore it on the chin. I was sitting there with Maurice Core in my dressing room and basically Coyle is offering me to be his sparring partner. I thought; ‘Bloody hell I’ll be the next bloke to knock you out right now,’ – but those are the sort of things I keep under my hat to let him enjoy his moment.”
Katsidis has already informed WBN that he would like to earn a rematch against Coyle at some point in 2015, although remains open to facing former opponents Kevin Mitchell and Ricky Burns once the Aussie strings together a few victories.
“There are certain vendettas that you have to avenge in your life and I think there is one between Kevin Mitchell and me. I think he is hoping that one day I will be too old and he will be just old enough to avenge his loss,” he said.
“There are also a couple for me with Tommy Coyle and Ricky Burns so I definitely have an unfinished career in the UK,” added Katsidis who is back in action on March 20 in Melbourne against an opponent yet to be named.