Skip to content
Home » Lewis Ritson tested at 140, Tommy Fury scores KO1, Jason Quigley wins

Lewis Ritson tested at 140, Tommy Fury scores KO1, Jason Quigley wins

  • by
  • 3 min read

Lewis Ritson, Tommy Fury and Jason Quigley were all triumphant on Saturday night.

German Benitez was more than game for the ‘Sandman’ Ritson in London on the Charlie Edwards undercard.

Both men marched forward early on in a battle of power punches.

Ritson landed a straight right in the third which blasted the mouth guard out of Benitez’s mouth. Ritson was unable to catch the Argentinian early bar this instance.

Showing no sign of slipping shots, Ritson was being caught often before firing on the offensive.

Benitez was still actively throwing to keep himself in the fight. But Ritson was edging the control, leading to a unanimous decision with scores of 99-91, 98-92 x2.

Irishman Jason Quigley comfortably beat Mathias Eklund inside two rounds. Eklund bounced off the jab of Quigley before the Irishman unloaded with a barrage of shots forcing the Finnish man to a corner before the referee called an end to the contest at 1:03.

Sean McGoldrick outpointed challenge Sean Cairns 59-56 to improve to 8-0. The Liverpudlian came out strong in the first round, where McGoldrick took time to adapt and focus on countering.

McGoldrick saw more success using a right hook to stagger Cairns.

The fight grew interesting from round four where both fighters worked hard but Cairns appeared to tire.

After a fairly quiet 5th round, both fighters came out swinging in the final session. They thew hooks to each other’s body and head in a close up encounter. 59-56 to McGoldrick.

Chris Adaway shocked Tom Ansell with a much classier boxing style.

Ansell struggled to land effectively against the Plymouth man and increased the pressure which favoured Adaway to land more clean shots leading to a 39-37 decision

In the opening bout of the evening, Lewis Syrett overcame Danail Stoyanov 40-36 using sweeping shots to keep the Bulgarian at bay.

Executing power shots at angles perfectly, Syrett occasionally found himself on the inside using volume punches to his advantage.

Stoyanov came back hitting hard with a couple of shots in the last round almost forcing Syrett’s gumshield out. But the man from Tonbridge oversaw the challenge emptying his gas tank to the final bell.


Elsewhere in Leicester, light-heavyweight Tommy Fury recorded the second win of his early ring stint with a first round stoppage of Callum Ide.

Without out win in 28 bouts, Ide was no match for Tyson Fury’s younger brother.

Fury dropped Ide twice before finishing off his foe midway through the opening stanza.

Training with Ricky Hatton is clearly benefitting Fury, who looked more assured than for his tentative debut back in December.

Super featherweight Leon Woodstock warmed up for tougher tests with an eight round decision win over Sergio Gonzalez. Dropping his opponent in the eighth round, Woodstock got back on track in moving to 12-1.

Troy Williamson scored a ninth career victory with a second round knockout of journeyman Kevin McCauley. Putting McCauley on the canvas twice, the middleweight got the job done in the same session.

Further results saw super welterweight Callum Blockley move to 4-0 with a points win over Dale Arrowsmith. Whilst lightweight Mark Chamberlain is now 2-0 following a stoppage of Laszlo Szoke.

Also victorious was light heavyweight Ryan Hatton won notched a fifth pro win over Kiril Psonko.

Chandler Waller is a staff writer for World Boxing News. Follow Chandler on Twitter @ChandlerWaller