13
Dec
2018

EXCLUSIVE: Sanchez reacts to Hearn eyeing Golovkin v Smith at Anfield

Phil Jay 14/11/2018

Mikey Williams / WBC

" "

Respected coach Abel Sanchez has aired his views on promoter Eddie Hearn stating Gennady Golovkin is the number one target for Callum Smith.

Hearn is hopeful Golovkin will sign a deal with DAZN following the collapse of boxing on HBO. The Matchroom boss then wants Golovkin to move up and face the world’s number one super-middleweight in Smith.

‘Mundo’ won the World Boxing Super Series and Ali Trophy in September. In the process, he became WBA ‘Super’ and Ring Magazine champion.

Speaking in regards to Smith fighting a homecoming clash at Liverpool FC’s Anfield Stadium, Hearn named Golovkin as the ideal opponent.

Golovkin (Pictured below by Stacey Verbeek) is currently enjoying some downtime ahead of a decision regarding his future. Sanchez says a decision will be made upon his return.

“I guess it’s just Eddie using Gennady Golovkin’s name to grow his brand,” Sanchez exclusively told World Boxing News on Wednesday.

“It makes sense for him to do that. But GGG is on vacation. He will decide after the New Year whom and when he will fight.

“At the moment there are numerous possibilities for Gennady once he’s ready,” he added.

TRILOGY

Should Golovkin take interest in challenging Smith for the world title at 168, the Kazakh puncher would follow a similar path to nemesis Canelo Alvarez.

The Mexican is moving up himself in an attempt to become a three-weight ruler. Canelo is scheduled to battle Smith’s compatriot and former opponent Rocky Fielding. On the line will be the ‘Regular’ version of the same strap. The contest takes place on December 15 at Golovkin’s old haunt in New York, Madison Square Garden.


A win for Canelo may see an extended stay transpire at the higher limit. This means Golovkin moving up with make sense and mean a third fight between the pair could take place north of the middleweight limit.

All depends on Golovkin agreeing to a TV contract with DAZN, with only Showtime said to be an alternative option at this point in time.



UK fans would be spoiled rotten if Golovkin v Smith adds to Canelo v Fielding in the spring of 2019, following the move by Liverpool FC to apply for permission to stage concerts and boxing matches at their home ground.

The application was granted by Liverpool City Council last month.

Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay

Your SEO optimized title