EXCLUSIVE: Anthony Joshua must send new ‘signed’ contract to re-open Deontay Wilder talks
Deontay Wilder is waiting to see a revised contract from Anthony Joshua as the American aims to re-open negotiations with his biggest divisional rival.
Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel outlined to WBN what needs to happen between the pair following a UK radio interview by Joshua in which the current unified heavyweight champion stated, ‘a fight would 100 percent happen in April’.
During an interview with Mike Costello on BBC Radio 5 Live (listen here), Joshua said he’s completely confident a deal would be secured despite the fact no contact has been forthcoming from his promoters to Finkel (Team Wilder) since talks broke off last month.
Joshua also revealed a contract was signed on his part for April 13 at Wembley Stadium, which Finkel is yet to understand whether it’s a completely new deal or the original one turned down by Wilder last month.
“I’m happy he said the fight will 100% happen because Deontay wants the fight if the conditions are right,” Finkel exclusively told World Boxing News.
“But what we need now is to see the terms of the deal. If everything has been addressed and all impediments have been taken out from the last contract, then we can begin to see where we stand.
Asked whether it was solely the TV side of things and a rematch clause holding up an agreement, Finkel replied: “The TV deal on the UK side of things is not an issue but we need those original points addressed before we can look at making a deal or not.
“We haven’t heard from Eddie or anyone from Team Joshua since they decided to fight Alexander Povetkin (on September 22) and the signed portion of the contract they said exists we haven’t seen yet.
“Until we see the new contract there’s nothing else we can do. We just need them to show us the new deal so Deontay can agree to a fight in April at Wembley. Until then, there’s nothing else we can do.
“Make no mistake, Deontay wants this fight to happen,” added the New Yorker.
With Joshua in the midst of promoting his fight with Povetkin, it doesn’t seem likely any paperwork will be forthcoming in the immediate future and Finkel has already stressed that there’s no rush to get it over the line.
Inking a contract yet to be presented to his prospective opponent is hardly going to be the starting block to the ending everyone is hoping for, with Wilder open to seeing what Joshua and his team are able to offer before getting down to more serious discussions for April 13.
Wilder is yet to make his next move since the initial Joshua collapse in June as mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale waits in the wings.
In all likeliness, Wilder v Breazeale will happen by the end of October, with ‘The Bronze Bomber’ then free to continue his pursuit of a spring blockbuster with Joshua.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay