EXCLUSIVE: Wilder trainer Deas confirms Joshua offer is ‘way less’ than their $50m

Jay Deas Deontay Wilder


Deontay Wilder trainer Jay Deas has confirmed to WBN that the WBC heavyweight champion has agreed to take a massive purse drop in order to face Anthony Joshua in an undisputed unification next. 

As Joshua prepared to announced a mandatory against Alexander Povetkin this week, Wilder threw a spanner in the works by stating his willingness to accept the lower deal on offer.

Now it’s up to ‘AJ’ and his promoter Eddie Hearn to decide if they want the Wilder fight instead of Povetkin, with Deas urging the pair to get the relevant paperwork together.

“We have accepted the offer from Team Joshua and look forward to coming over to fight again (last time was Audley Harrison) in front of the great UK fans,” Deas exclusively told World Boxing News.

“Team Wilder offered Joshua 50 MILLION DOLLARS which is exactly what he asked for, and he then turned it down. Team Joshua offered Wilder WAY LESS and Deontay STILL SAID YES!

“Deontay wants this for all boxing fans, which is why he accepted their terms. We can’t wait. Send the contract,” he added.

Earlier on Monday, Wilder handler Shelly Finkel exclusively told WBN first in a World Exclusive interview that ‘The Bronze Bomber’ would take the deal on the table to seal the contest.

“The story is very simple and that is Deontay Wilder today, accepted the terms that Anthony Joshua’s team gave us,” Finkel told lead writer Joe Hewlett.

“If for any reason Anthony changes his mind and wants to fight in the U.S, the $50m offer we have made to him is still there. It’s now in Joshua’s court.

“It will take place in the UK either September or October according to Eddie Hearn.

“They gave us an offer, we were hoping they’d accept the U.S offer instead because there’s so much money but instead since they haven’t we’ve decided that if you don’t want $50m then we’re willing to come the UK and take your offer.

“Hopefully, we’ll get an answer in the next day or two. Deontay wrote to Joshua and said ‘Hey, I accept your offer, let’s fight in the UK.’

“I met with Barry a week ago and we want the fight next, we’re waiting for the contract and we’re ready to go.”

And the legendary boxing manager and promoter confirmed there is a rematch clause inside the contract for another fight between the pair Stateside.

“That was in the offer, yes. They asked for the rematch to be in place, so we’ve agreed to it.

“We got two big punchers, big men, undefeated and have knocked out each opponent apart from one on each side – it’s a humungous fight.

“I talk to Deontay late at night and if he’s out I hear people in the background asking when this fight is happening, and I imagine Joshua is experiencing that even more so,” he concluded.

The ball is now firmly in Joshua and Hearn’s court with an official announcement (either way) due this week.

Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay