Former welterweight world champion Kell Brook has called on Amir Khan to agree a fight in 2018 as ‘The Special One’ aims for a return to the ring in the coming months.
Following a second eye-socket injury in succession, Brook is expected to be back in action early next year and wants Khan to step up and accept his offer to trade blows.
“I want to get in there and beat Queen Khan up,” said Brook during App Empire UK’s ‘Evening With’ event posted on his social media account.
“We all want to see me stood over him, saying, ‘listen, I told you. I told you.’
“We want to make that fight happen. We all want to see it. I want to smash him,” he added.
Had a great time with my fans during @AppEmpireUK event. Now you all know I'll be back..
— Kell Brook (@SpecialKBrook) October 8, 2017
With two defeats in a row, work is still to be done to reignite interest in the contest despite promoter Eddie Hearn believing the fight is still massive.
As World Boxing News previously stated, putting the two fighters on the same bill in February or March would be the way to go, leading the pair into a potentially huge collision at Wembley Arena over the summer.
Speculation is rife surrounding Brook campaigning at 154 pounds, which he certainly needs to do, whilst boiling down to 147 for one more clash against Khan could be the last straw.
As Khan has previously accepted an offer to move up to 155 pounds last time out when facing Canelo Alvarez in May 2016, it’s possible Brook could ask for a catchweight of 150, although the Bolton man could insist on welterweight in order to get some sort of upper hand in negotiations.
Whatever the outcome, an encounter still looks a far way off at the moment as Brook and Khan deal with respective recoveries, coupled with lengthy spells out of action.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay