WBO heavyweight title challenger Hughie Fury has vowed to derail promoter Eddie Hearn’s blueprint to pit Tony Bellew or Dillian Whyte against Joseph Parker in the future.
Hearn met with Parker’s handlers at Duco Boxing last week to discuss as possible Bellew or Whyte v Parker contest as a means to eventually meeting Anthony Joshua in a unification.
This was despite the fact Parker had already signed on to face Fury in a mandatory fight on September 23 in Manchester, with Hearn even stating he was still unsure whether the contest would go head.
Fury had pulled out of a scheduled bout with Parker on May 6 in New Zealand and Hearn took the opportunity to cast doubt on the reworked encounter.
“We don’t know whether the Hughie Fury fight will happen, the jury is still out on that one and if it doesn’t I think Dillian Whyte’s message is ‘we’re standing by, we’re ready’ and listen Joseph Parker to me looks like a guy who doesn’t mind who he fights,” said Hearn.
On what subject was covered at the Duco talks, Hearn added: “Obviously we’re both blessed to have heavyweight champions that we represent and obviously at some stage they’re going to fight each other.
“Interesting that Joseph Parker and his team are fighting a Brit next. We want to make sure the next guy they fight next is one of our (Matchroom) guys and that is Dillian Whyte, Tony Bellew or Anthony Joshua.
“It’s important that we stay close to each other and it’s important that we strategize together on the way forward,” he stated.
Hughie met these words with distain at the Parker presser just a day later and has since reiterated his need to blow a hole in Hearn’s plans.
“I can’t wait to shut up all you haters and to see the look on Eddie Hearn’s face and see all he’s plans go to to s***,” said Fury.