UFC champion Conor McGregor has been granted a license to boxing by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) ahead of a possible boxing debut in 2017.
The 28 year-old, who was recently stripped of one of his belts after holding titles simultaneously at featherweight and lightweight, is eyeing up a massive cross codes super-fight with Floyd Mayweather.
“He got a licence today (Wednesday) and a federal ID. He’s a California boxer now,” CSAC executive Andy Foster told MMAFighting.com.
“I’d love to see him fight in California,” Mr. Foster said. “It just needs to be the right opponent. Certainly a high-level opponent. We’re happy to license him.”
McGregor has singled out Mayweather in his bid to swap the seven-figure checks he currently earns from Dana White for a potential eight or nine-figure sum if he switches to boxing and lands the biggest prize of them all.
Talk of mixing MMA and Queensberry Rules had been mentioned by UFC boss White in the past, although McGregor looks more likely to branch out on his own for any possible run as a boxer.
Mayweather would never take the risk of fighting McGregor in any other situation than a boxing match, something the Irishman knows only too well as he bids to become the first UFC fighter to make a massive impact when crossing over.
“He (Mayweather) wants it under boxing rules. He wants a boxing match. He doesn’t want a fight,” McGregor told TMZ Sports.
“Tell Floyd and Showtime, I’m coming. Tell him to go to them Showtime offices. I want $100 million cash to fight you under boxing rules cause he’s afraid of a real fight.”
Despite Mayweather seemingly being receptive to McGregor previously, the ‘Money’ man has since reiterated his desire to remain retired, which means ‘The Notorious’ may have to switch targets.
Manny Pacquiao could still provide a massive opportunity for McGregor to earn tens of millions of dollars, although the outspoken puncher would have to prove himself in the ring first off before anyone in the sport would begin to take his intentions seriously.