19
Jul
2019

Exclusive: Browne lawyer says no Klitschko movement, in the dark on Joshua

Phil Jay 21/10/2016

Matt Clark

Former world heavyweight champion Lucas Browne will fight for a version of the WBA title in his next fight, the Aussie puncher’s lawyer Leon Margules has confirmed to WBN.

Browne, 37, is at the center of speculation regarding a possible fight with Wladimir Klitschko, as the World Boxing Association consider whether to sanction a unification for the Ukrainian with Anthony Joshua.

Rumours Klitschko was proposing a Hamburg fight with Browne for the belt vacated by Tyson Fury had let promoter Eddie Hearn to believe the 40 year-old was about to pull out of facing Joshua on December 10.

As the boxing world await the official decision from the WBA, Margules has stated there’s been no movement in Klitschko talks after initially informing WBN that negotiations were unsuccessful earlier this week.

“There’s nothing new,” Margules exclusively told World Boxing News.

“We are waiting for the WBA ruling, but Lucas will be fighting someone for the title. As everybody knows, the WBA has a regular title, a super title and sometimes an interim title.”

Asked whether he knew if Klitschko v Joshua was the most likely fight to happen, Margules, like everybody else, was firmly in the dark.

“I don’t know,” he bluntly answered.

The WBA should make the ruling official at some point on Friday, which would then determine whether the biggest top division fight of the year will take place at Manchester Arena in six weeks’ time.

Your SEO optimized title