WBN have been informed that purse bids for Carl Frampton’s mandatory clash against number one contender Shingo Wake are no longer scheduled as an agreement for a UK super-fight with Scott Quigg gets closer.
Frampton was due to make his next defense of the IBF super bantamweight title against Wake in the next few months, although a massive clash with British rival Quigg is obviously a bigger draw for the Belfast puncher.
According to Quigg’s trainer Joe Gallagher, the Frampton encounter could be heading to Manchester Arena in February or March and will come as a relief to the hordes of UK fans who want the two champions to wage war in the ring.
“Nothing has changed as far as I know, I think the fight could happen in February next year or maybe March,” Gallagher told World Boxing News.
The IBF’s Jeannette Salazar has also moved to explain the situation with the IBF as it stands after being questioned by WBN about the status of Frampton v Wake on Wednesday.
“There is no purse bid scheduled for that (Frampton v Wake). Frampton v Quigg was tentatively approved for the unification and we are just waiting on the signed contracts to sanction the fight,” Salazar confirmed to World Boxing News.
“The date we have is in February, but not specific yet.”
Salazar also stated that it is possible that the WBA could make Quigg ‘super’ champion and put Guillermo Rigondeaux in recess for lack of a defence. Which in turn would mean a Quigg-Frampton unification is then possible.
Previously, Quigg’s ‘regular’ title status would have prevented Frampton being involved in a two-belt battle as the IBF don’t recognise the ‘regular’ champion.
It’s now up to the WBA to make a decision, and when asked by WBN if the move was possible, Gilberto Mendoza said ‘nothing is official’ regarding Quigg’s champion status.