22
Sep
2020

Chilemba thinks over IBF Beterbiev offer as WBC eliminator looms

Phil Jay 08/08/2015

World Boxing Council number one contender Isaac Chilemba has a decision to make after the WBC number one was offered a similar position with the International Boxing Federation.

As revealed earlier this week, Bernard Hopkins and Artur Beterbiev were named by the IBF to compete in a contest for a mandatory shot at Sergey Kovalev, although promoter Yvon Michel explained that only one of those offered accepted the fight.

“The American Bernard Hopkins (IBF #3) did not respond to the invitation for the IBF eliminator against Artur Beterbiev (IBF #2). The Swede Erik Skoglund (IBF #4) also refused the invitation,” Michel told World Boxing News.

“Next on the list is Isaac Chilemba (IBF #5) of Malawi. He has until Tuesday, August 11th at 5pm to respond to the invitation, although Artur accepted all three invitations in question.”

In response to being next in line, Chilemba stated the following: “To be honest no offer has been brought to me as yet. The first I heard about it was when I read the article today,” he told WBN.

“At the moment we are waiting to hear news regarding the WBC eliminator, although nothing has yet been decided,” Chilemba added.

Should Chilemba ultimately decided against the Beterbiev fight by Monday, the next three in line are Andrzej Fonfara, Seanie Monaghan and Jean Pascal.

Back on July 4, WBC President explained to WBN that Chilemba will be the first name down when a final eliminator is announced by the WBC to eventually fight Adonis Stevenson for the title.

Chilemba now has to decide between the two.