18
Sep
2020

Groves unfazed, says Jack won’t cause any problems

Phil Jay 07/08/2015

British super middleweight George Groves hopes to make it third time lucky when challenging Badou Jack for the WBC title on September 12 in Las Vegas.

The 27 year-old lost out twice to compatriot Carl Froch before the Nottingham man eventually retired this year and Groves gets another opportunity on the back of an eliminator victory over Frenchman Christopher Rebrasse.

‘Saint’ George has had to play the waiting game as the fight was originally scheduled for August 22, although will now be part of the huge Floyd Mayweather v Andre Berto event and is fully confident that he will prevail next month.

“I think I know more than enough about Jack. I’ve seen him box live against Anthony Dirrell and I’ve studied him on tape. There’s a lot to like about him. I like the fact that he’s come to the U.S. and has made a home out here, there’s bravery in that,” said Groves.

“He’s latched on to a successful camp, but ultimately you have to stand on your own two feet in the ring.

“I think I’m better than him in most aspects. If I go out and perform it’s an easy night’s work for me.

“I’ve seen Badou up close and personal and as of yet, we can’t find anything that will cause me a problem. We plan to take the belt back to the UK.

“It’s nice being on an undercard because I’ve dealt with the pressure of the main event. It’s nice to just be able to enjoy the fight. It’s a massive fight but the only thing I have to worry about it fighting. It’s a great opportunity for me.”

Jack, 31, is a major part of Mayweather’s Money Team promotional outfit and came back from a shock loss to Derek Edwards to claim the title from Anthony Dirrell earlier this year.

The Swedish-born world title holder now makes the first defense of his coveted green belt as part of a massive pay-per-view event in what looks on paper to be a 50-50 fight.