Audley Harrison says Deontay Wilder bout is ‘close, but nothing more’
Two-time Prizefighter champion Audley Harrison has revealed that he has agreed to face dangerous American Deontay Wilder on the undercard of Amir Khan’s British homecoming on April 27.
The fight, if finalised, would represent a serious step up for the Londoner of the back of his second career triumph in Matchroom’s recent heavyweight tournament, with ‘A-Force’ aiming to become the first to defeat Wilder in 27 bouts.
Wilder, at 27, is approaching his peak and unfortunately for Harrison has knocked out each and every one of his opponents so far, with none making it past four rounds – which doesn’t bode well for the fragile former Olympic gold medallist.
41 year-old Harrison has suffered knockout losses to David’s Haye and Price in recent years, along with a third round stoppage defeat in three rounds to Michael Sprott in 2007, leaving the choice of his next challenge a strange one.
Another couple of easier wins could have put the one-time European title-holder in with a chance of fighting to reclaim his old belt, although as Harrison announced on his Twitter today, the clash with the formidable Wilder is still not a done deal.
“No secrets in boxing eh?” said Harrison after rumours appeared late last week. “I have agreed to take the fight at five weeks notice. We’re close. Hopefully we can get there on all the details. Nothing more.”
Another bout heading to the Motorpoint Arena bill in Sheffield next month is former British featherweight champion Gary Sykes taking on Jon Kays, with the former putting his English title at 130lbs on the line.