Larry Merchant talks Floyd Mayweather spat, ‘washed-up’ Manny Pacquiao
Former HBO broadcaster and long-time boxing legend Larry Merchant has discussed his spat with Floyd Mayweather and called Manny Pacquiao ‘washed-up’.
Merchant, who interviewed fighters and commentated on bouts between 1978 and 2012 before retirement, aired his views recently.
The Hall of Famer had a famous argument with Mayweather after his fight with Miguel Cotto in 2012. It proved to be one of his last appearances in the role.
Uttering the immortal words, ‘if I were fifty years younger, I’d kick your a**’ to Mayweather, Merchant secured his place in the sport’s history.
On Pacquiao, Merchant believes the Filipino legend should be retired by now. He also had a strong opinion on Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield III.
Tyson and Holyfield could face off for a third time at the ages of 54 and 58. Merchant, predictably, has zero interest.
Snippets on the Sirius XM interview are below. You can listen in full on the Sirius XM App or watch on DAZN.
LARRY MERCHANT on FLOYD MAYWEATHER
• Received an apology from Floyd Mayweather over their previous exchanges.
• New guys in the sport are bringing excitement. But have a lot to prove to enter the realm of the elite fighters of the past.
• There is so much money to be made on the elite level of boxing today with many different promoters that depend on them.
TYSON vs. HOLYFIELD
• Has zero excitement for a 54-year-old Mike Tyson facing the 58-year-old Evander Holyfield.
• Everyone is out to make the best money they can, and this has happened all the time in boxing.
• Everyone wants to fight Manny Pacquiao because that’s where the money is and because he is a bit washed up and more vulnerable to defeat.
• Fighters today are afraid of losing.
• Feels like he was right there with Muhammed Ali because he was always on television, and there are many tales to tell about him.
Catch all things Boxing. @SiriusXM Fight Nation Channel 156. The Ak & Barak Show, weekdays 12-2p ET.
At the Fights w/ @commishrandyg & @gerrycooney: Mon+Fri 6-8p ET.