Klitschko once again outlines ‘obsession’ to return on Joshua anniversary
Wladimir Klitschko has hinted at another run in the pro ranks on the two-year anniversary of his defeat to Anthony Joshua.
The veteran, who retired after a see-saw battle with Joshua at Wembley in 2017, has already been offered a deal by DAZN.
Embarking on a comeback at 43 has been highly possible for Klitschko since the deal was put on the table late last year.
Thus far, Klitschko has resisted the streaming service’s attempts. But judging by his media post on Monday, staying retired seems further from his mind.
“Although, I didn’t win the titles on April 29th 2017. For me, it was one of my best days in my long boxing career (so far).
“Thanks to Anthony Joshua for being the perfect opponent. And part of my obsession to become a champion again! #obsessed,” said Klitschko.
It could be good timing as far as Eddie Hearn is concerned. The Matchroom boss seems to have admitted defeat in luring Deontay Wilder to fight Joshua this year.
“Everybody in the business tells me that he (Deontay Wilder) has been told. And all these fighters have been told that his next fights are Ortiz and Kownacki.
“That worries me because the only fight we want next is Deontay. They’ve got a plan to fight these other guys in place,” Hearn told Barbershop Conversations.
Klitschko facing Joshua by the end of the year would be a massive event to stage on DAZN. Joshua must first come through Andy Ruiz Jr. AJ must then hope the IBF are lenient when it comes to the Kubrat Pulev fight.
Pulev remains the mandatory challenger to Joshua under International Boxing Federation guidelines. It’s expected they will order the clash after June 1st.
Being a former and long-reigning IBF champion in the past, Joshua could potentially lobby for an exception to battle his old nemesis.
Whether a rematch happens or not seems to squarely land with Klitschko., Whilst Dillian Whyte would also be a good opponent should the Ukrainian sign on for three more fights.