Scott Fitzgerald’s reward for a stunning upset victory over Anthony Fowler at the M & S Bank Arena is a shot at British champion Ted Cheeseman.
‘Fitzy’ ground out a split decision points win over arch-rival Fowler. This followed several weeks of bad blood between the pair.
A final round knockdown proved to be the difference in the fight. Fitzgerland scored a ten round triumph to preserve his undefeated record and end Fowler’s.
The British Boxing Board of Control had previously laid down plans for a purse bid which would have seen 154lb Lonsdale Belt holder Cheeseman face Fowler next.
On the back of Saturday’s events, Fitzgerland has now replaced Fowler. The decision could mean a rematch between Fitzgerald and Fowler is on hold.
“Following Scott Fitzgerald’s defeat of Anthony Fowler in Liverpool on 30th March 2019 the Stewards have decided to withdraw Anthony Fowler from the above Purse bid. The BBBofC have decided to put out the following contest: Ted Cheeseman (Holder) v Scott Fitzgerald.
“The above contest is put out to purse bids in short terms to be submitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions to the Board’s Head Office by 12:00noon on Wednesday, 10th April 2019. The contest to take place by the end of July 2019,” said a BBBofC statement on Monday.
Opening up on his loss, Fowler had released his own thoughts on the defeat. The Liverpool man confirmed he wants a second shot a Fitzgerald down the line.
“I actually slept last night. I already feel so much more positive this morning than I did yesterday,” said Fowler.
“I’ve had so many motivating messages from people which has really give me a boost.
“I’ve got a great coach and team behind me. I’m very confident we get the rematch with Fitzgerald this year and right that wrong.
“Getting him back in the ring really excites me,” he added.
Should Fitzgerald take Cheeseman’s belt over the summer, a first defence against Fowler would be all the more interesting to witness.