Glove Affair: Randy Gordon’s lifelong journey in professional boxing
Randy Gordon has spent over 40 years in the world of professional boxing, as a broadcaster, ring announcer, New York State’s athletic commissioner, editor of TheRing magazine, and host of SiriusXM Radio’s At the Fights.
No one else has ever seen the sport from so many different angles and from such lofty seats.
In Glove Affair: My Lifelong Journey in the World of Professional Boxing, Gordon recounts never-before-heard stories of the boxing industry and offers insights into some of its most famous figures, including Hall-of-Famers Bert Sugar, Alexis Arguello, Bob Arum, and Mike Tyson.
With the perspective only an insider can offer, Gordon also reflects on his times with Muhammad Ali—including the champ’s mind-dazzling magic tricks and his thoughts on the “Thrilla’ in Manila”—and provides a glimpse into the boxing commissioner’s office with stories of a wild and fiery hearing and a commission employee’s betrayal of the agency.
From his days as a wheelchair-bound, severely injured boy in 1959 to the most-widely-listened-to boxing talk show host on the radio, Gordon recalls his life story with passion, humor, and love.
More than just another book on the Sweet Science. As a result, Glove Affair is a journey through the world of boxing through the eyes of a man who has seen it all.
- A wonderful read…. Truly a “glove affair” with a great sport. (Marc Ratner, IBHOF inductee, and former executive director, Nevada State Athletic Commission)
- Glove Affair is a must read for every boxing fan . . . Gordon delivers a knockout! (George Willis, sportswriter/columnist, New York Post)
- Glove Affair is a hard-hitting, no-punches-pulled look at the sweet science from a guy who has seen every side of the sport. (Gerry Cooney, former heavyweight contender)
- Nobody has worn more hats than The Commish.… This book is superlative! (Michael Woods, editor, NYFights.com and host, “Talk Box” podcast from Everlast)
- This book is riveting! It brought me back to the Golden Era of boxing. (Alexis Arguello Jr., producer, CBS Sports)
- For a lot of us of a certain age, Randy Gordon was a part of our boxing childhood, our gateway drug to the sweet science. And when Randy got us in the door, his continued enthusiasm and knowledge of the sport kept us here. The beautiful thing about this book is that after two decades in the game, I thought I knew it all. Glove Affair reminds me that I don’t. But Randy might. (Thomas Gerbasi, senior editor, BoxingScene.com)
- From the Foreword: Randy holds nothing back. He didn’t as the editor of RingMagazine, he didn’t as the Commissioner of Commissioners, he doesn’t as a talk show host on SiriusXM Radio, and he certainly holds nothing back in the pages you are about to read. Both the sport and we, as fans, have been blessed by his presence. (Tracy Morgan, actor and comedian)