19
Oct
2018

Billy Joe Saunders apologises for outrageous video, called before Board on misconduct charge

World Boxing News 18/09/2018

MTK

Middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders is in trouble with the British Boxing Board of Control after a video posted online.

Saunders has been labelled ‘vile’ for his part in a clip featuring a drug addict and a man. In the post, apparently filmed by fellow boxer Kid Galahad, the WBO ruler coersed a woman into slapping a man branded a paedophile.

The fighter also asked the woman in question to perform a sex act in exchange for crack.

Following outrage, Saunders has now been called to answer for his actions by Robert Smith.

“The British Boxing Board of Control are aware of a video featuring WBO Middleweight Champion Billy Joe Saunders. The Board have called Mr. Saunders to appear before the Stewards of Board on a misconduct charge next week,” said a statement receieved by World Boxing News on Tuesday.


WBN understands police have received complaints, with a spokesperson telling The Daily Mail: “Officers will be looking to identify and speak to all of those who feature in this sickening video.

“A full investigation will be carried out into the number of offences that have been captured on film, including the offer to supply Class A drugs, aiding and abetting an assault, assault and public order offences.

“Incidents of this nature will not be tolerated in Nottinghamshire, and we would urge anyone who witnessed this incident, or who has any further information about those responsible to come forward.

“Anyone with information is asked to contact Nottinghamshire Police, quoting incident 887 of 17 September.”

With a fight in America lined up next month, Saunders could have put his defense against Demetrius Andrade in jeopardy if charges are brought.

The 29 year-old has since released an apology.

“I apologise to everybody who has taken offence. I was totally in the wrong,” said Saunders.

“Can’t do anything but be sorry. It was banter gone wrong. I apologise once again,” he added.


wilder saunders FW
📸:Frank Warren

NANDO’S

Posting clips of his daily life has been a regular occurance for Saunders. In the past, he’s gained a repuation for engaging with people on the street.

This time around, many say Saunders has taken things too far.

Last month in Belfast, Saunders was also involved in an incident with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in which ‘BJS’ was filmed getting into an altercation with the American.

Chicken was thrown by Saunders before he was chased out of a Nando’s restaurant. The pair later made up publicly before Tyson Fury’s fight with Francesco Pianeta.

Your SEO optimized title