Wilder v Ortiz by the numbers: Punch stats, scorecards revealed
Following an enthralling contest, the numbers have been crunched for the WBC heavyweight title clash between Deontay Wilder and Luis Ortiz.
In a fight of extreme extremes, Wilder overcame several instances of deep trouble to score three knockdowns (one in the seventh, two in the 10th) to retain his title for the seventh time.
HIs 39 knockouts are the most by a heavyweight titlist through 40 fights and he has tied Joe Louis for second place for consecutive knockouts in heavyweight title defenses with seven.
Wilder landed 39% of his power shots, well below the 56.6% he logged in his seven previous title fights, while taking 43%. Scoring through nine: 85-84 Wilder by all judges.
WILDER KO 10 ORTIZ – BY THE NUMBERS
• Wilder had a 33-6 edge in total punches landed in the last two rounds
• 18 of Wilder’s 60 landed power punches (30%) were in the tenth round
• Wilder landed 55.8% of his power punches in the last two rounds after landing just 32% in the previous eight rounds
• 35 of Ortiz’s 63 landed power punches (56%) were in rounds seven (22) and eight (13)
• the 27 total punches landed by Ortiz in the seventh round were the most by a Wilder opponent in 20 of his fights tracked by CompuBox
• the 22 power shots landed by Ortiz in seventh round were the most by a Wilder opponent in 20 of his fights tracked by CompuBox
• Ortiz landed 43.4% of his power punches in the fight, the highest pct. by a Wilder opponent in 20 of his fights tracked by CompuBox
• 33 of Ortiz’s 87 landed punches (38%) were body shots
• 5 of Wilder’s 98 landed punches were body shots
Stats supplied by CompuBox / Scorecards by ESPN