WBN have been informed that British super-lightweight contender Robbie Davies Jnr is okay after his brutal final round defeat at the hands of Michal Syrowatka on Saturday.
The 27 year-old lost for the first time in his career at Wembley Arena despite being ahead on all three scorecards into the twelfth session of the fringe WBA title bout.
Davies was caught by a peach of a shot by the Pole, and after hitting the canvas pretty hard, the Liverpool man was unable to regain his senses in order to finish the fight.
Referee Steve Gray was on the verge of stopping the entertaining contest anyway when his corner threw in the towel with Davies defenseless.
Manager Neil Marsh released a short statement on Saturday night as doctors were giving Davies a once over and has now told World Boxing News he’s checked with his fighter and all is well.
‘I’ve spoken with Robbie and all is okay. He’s just a bit gutted but he will be back,” said Marsh. “Robbie was released from hospital two hours later after suffering from dehydration.”
The fighter himself posted on social media to reassure fans of his recovery.
“Thanks for all the messages everyone. My health is okay, although there was a few things the hospital pointed out.
“I wasn’t myself last night. Felt depilated from early rounds. I was up on all cards before the 12th round. I’m gutted to say the least. I will be back. Thanks.”
Despite being just under two minutes away from retaining his Continental championship, Davies will now have to return to the gym and regroup.
Two judges had Davies up 106-102 (as did WBN) at the time of the stoppage, whilst a third saw it 106-103 in the Kirkby natives favour.
A British title eliminator had been confirmed by the British Boxing Board of Control earlier in the week, although Davies will need to return to winning ways before any encounter with Joe Hughes can take place.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay