Exclusive: I wouldn’t take delight in destroying a GGG v Canelo fight, says #1 Tureano Johnson
The next man in line to face Gennady Golovkin has spoken out regarding his position as the mandatory challenger.
As confirmed to WBN by the International Boxing Federation last week, Johnson is stipulated to face the winner of Golovkin’s fight with Danny Jacobs on March 18, although many fans want to see ‘GGG’ face Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez instead.
It’s been touted Johnson could potentially step aside for a co-feature bout being from the same Golden Boy stable as Canelo, although Johnson has admitted he’d be reluctant to give up his hard-fought spot to accommodate a Golovkin super-fight.
“I had accepted the offer to fight for the number contender position because I want to fight for the title. I won that position abiding by all the rules and regulations and winning a unanimous decision in that number one contender fight,” Johnson exclusively explained to World Boxing News.
“I have not changed my course, I still do want to fight for a world title. I look forward to that opportunity against either fighter (Golovkin or Jacobs) and the winner of their coming match.”
Asked his thoughts on delaying the chance to face Golovkin in favor of allowing Canelo to take his place, Johnson replied: “That can only be answered when the time comes.
“I have never given any thoughts to that question before, but as a fan of boxing, I won’t take delight in destroying a dream match between GGG and Canelo. But for what it’s worth, the sooner I get my chance the better as I want to be a world champion.
“At the end of the day, co-features are not the main attraction.”
On when his next fight could happen and whether he expects it to be a warm-up, the 33 year-old Bahamian added: “We are working on a fight at this moment.
“There’s always a risk when walking into the ring with anyone, that’s what makes boxing exciting.
“Any other fight is a fight for me, a warm up is what the fans might call it. But I have been challenged by a few fighters and I do believe my team has found someone of interest,” said Johnson.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay