David Haye says five fights left, Anthony Joshua is the next target
Two-weight world title holder David Haye is planning an immediate assault on the heavyweight crown after his clash with Brit rival Tony Bellew on March 4.
The 36-year-old from Bermondsey outlined his future plans at a recent press conference where Haye stated he would be linking up with Richard Schaefer for joint promotional venture ‘Hayemaker Ringstar’.
Haye says he could have just a handful of bouts to make sure the doubters are wrong, who say the veteran is past his best and can no longer compete with the likes of world rulers Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder.
“Realistically five fights will be all I need to prove what I need to prove before I retire,” stated Haye.
“Ideally I’ll fight the champions, you look at Anthony Joshua, he’s probably the first target because he’s got the momentum behind him.
“I want to have three fights per year. I was ready to fight last December but the fight didn’t materialize so we had to push it back to March.
DAVID HAYE vs BELLEW
“I’ve been ready to fight since the back end of last year but the politics of the sport meant it didn’t happen.
“I’d be very surprised if I fight beyond 2018. If whoever is the champion has no interest in fighting me it might drag out a little longer,” he added.
Haye needs an explosive win against WBC cruiserweight title-holder Bellew at the O2 Arena in order to show he’s ready for the big names at heavyweight – following a lengthy absence between 2012 and 2016 that did the one-time 200-pound king no favors at all.