Reacting to Cleverly’s comments given to a radio station by the former WBO title holder in his native UK, Sauerland reacted to the story and says there is nothing to report despite the 28 year-old confirming a deal announcement was imminent.
“Regarding reports of Juergen Braehmer fighting Nathan Cleverly I’m afraid I can’t confirm anything yet as there is no deal,” Sauerland exclusively told World Boxing News on Wednesday.
Braehmer, 36, was due to defend his then WBO version against Cleverly in May 2011 until the German pulled out injured and was duly stripped of his belt by the organisation.
There had been considerable needle between the two at the time, although that died down once they went their separate paths. Cleverly has since lost twice, once to Sergey Kovalev and once to old rival Tony Bellew, whilst Braehmer has gone from strength to strength in claiming European and world titles and remains undefeated since way back in 2008.
If negotiations are underway, the fight would certainly have some appeal in Europe as Cleverly bids to become a two-time world champion and show his career is not on the slide. Braehmer, on the other hand, will also have a point to prove to those who believe his backed out of facing Cleverly and wanted no part of the fight in the past.
Cleverly must first come through a May 30 comeback in the UK and obviously await the green light from Braehmer’s representatives before any impending battle ensues.