Super-middleweight world champion Carl Froch doubts that former rival George Groves has what it takes to dethrone WBC title holder Anthony Dirrell if the Londoner agrees terms for his mandated challenge.
Froch, who knocked out Groves twice in a six-month period from the back end of 2013, says that Groves would face an uphill battle against Dirrell should a fight be made between the two in America later this year.
“George Groves is having a bit of time off and he needs that,” Froch told Sky Sports News HQ late last week. “He is talking about fighting Anthony Dirrell for the WBC because he is mandatory, so there is no reason why that fight shouldn’t happen.
“Sauerland are looking after him and they are quite powerful, but if Groves want to fulfil his WBC title dream then he is going to have to travel to America, but it is a very, very tough ask for him to go over there against somebody like Anthony Dirrell and I am basing that on his current form,” he added.
‘The Cobra’ himself is eyeing a trip Stateside for his next bout as talks continue with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr regarding a massive pay-per-view bout in Las Vegas on March 28, whilst James DeGale is awaiting the outcome of negotiations as the number one contender to Froch’s IBF belt.
As Groves and DeGale are both in line to fight for world titles of their own in 2015 – it is thought that a victory for both would mean a huge rematch between the two, possibly at Wembley Stadium, on the back of their tight battle in 2011 which ‘The Saint’ took by the slightest of margins.