The International Boxing Federation have reacted to the news that their welterweight champion Kell Brook suffered injuries on vacation as a result of a stabbing incident in Tenerife.
IBF chairman Lindsey Tucker was not aware that Brook had been involved in any altercation whilst on a break with his family and was informed by WBN as to what had actually happened to the newly-crowned title holder.
“First of all, everyone here at the IBF wants to wish our Welterweight Champion Kell Brook a speedy recovery,” Tucker told World Boxing News. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.”
The trainer and father of the fighter Brook defeated in August to claim his first world title belt, Kenny Porter, also commented to WBN on the reports and still hopes to arrange a rematch for his son Shawn once the Yorkshireman is back to full health.
“We’re sad to hear about this incident hope he is ok,” said Porter. We wish him a speedy recovery and we look forward to coming to the UK and boxing in 2015.”
Brook, 28, is currently recovering in hospital having been knifed in the leg and grazed on the arm, although there has been no word from his promoters as to hold long ‘The Special One’ might be out of action.
A return has been touted by Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn for December 6 in his hometown of Sheffield.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN