WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin has rejected rumours that he is set to defend his title on the Mayweather v Maidana rematch bill next month as the American prepares to become a father for the first time.
Quillin, 31, and his wife are expecting a new arrival in the near future and the undefeated fighter explained to WBN that he is not thinking about boxing until after the baby is born.
“As of now there is no fight,” Quillin exclusively told World Boxing News. “I’m just focusing on having my first child.
“God has blessed me with this precious gift and that’s the most important thing to me. I’m not really focused on the rumour (about fighting on September 13) right now because, if it was true I would have gotten a call about that fight.”
There had been suggestions that a clash with Irishman Andy Lee was in negotiations for the big Las Vegas event in September, although Quillin cleared up that misinformation – but still hopes to be out again in the coming months.
“There are no names of opponents and no dates for any fights at the moment,” he reiterated. “All I can tell you is I’ll be fighting in the fall, but I am in the gym right now to stay ready for whatever is next.”
‘Kid Chocolate’ was an avid viewer last week when Gennady Golovkin proved his credentials with a third round demolition job on Daniel Geale and humble Quillin is in no doubt who is the number one in the division right now.
“Golovkin is doing exactly what he’s supposed to do as world champion like myself. Every time we step into the ring we have to prove that we are the best,” said Quilin.
“In my opinion, Golovkin’s win proves he is the best at the moment because of Daniel Geale’s resume being that he was a 2-time world champion. I also feel that, if I was given that same opportunity, I would be considered No. 1.”
On whether a unification with ‘GGG’ was a possibility a some point, Quillin added: “Yes, It’s a possibility like a lot of things in boxing. I proved that when a lot of people didn’t think I would win a world title.”
Pondering his next move, Quillin has eyes on former light-middleweight number one Miguel Cotto on the back of the Puerto Rican’s win over Sergio Martinez, as the dream of holding the WBC’s famous green belt is long-standing with the Michigan boxer.
“If I could choose who I fight right now I’d say Miguel Cotto,” stated Quillin. “I’ve heard he’s scheduled to fight December 13th at Madison Square Garden and I think we’d put on a great fight for New York.
“Cotto is considered the lineal champion and I wouldn’t mind adding that green belt to my collection,” he concluded.
WBN would like to wish Peter Quillin and his wife all the best with the upcoming birth of their first child.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN