British welterweight Amir Khan is crawling back his poll deficit as the former 140lb king attempts to land his long-touted clash with pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3.
The 27 year-old announced earlier this year that he was pencilled in for the fight and had put pen to paper to oppose Mayweather in Las Vegas, although Khan was then thrown a curveball when the American brought Argentinian Marcos Maidana into the reckoning.
Mayweather made the decision public by asking the fans to decide via his mayweatherpromotions.com website and after initially falling behind, Khan is now just three percent away (as of Thursday February 6) from levelling the vote.
Khan has now made his feelings known about the situation for the first time and believes Mayweather should not take the ‘easier’ option by fighting somebody he has already defeated in the past.
“Mayweather says he needs an easy fight and fans want to see a knockout, so maybe that is the reason he doesn’t want to fight me and wants Maidana,” said Khan.
The Bolton man then added: “For those who hate me and think Floyd can KO me, let’s see him try. Fight me skill vs. skill, speed vs. speed!”
Whoever gets the nod to face Mayweather, 36, in the spring is set to earn a career-best payday, with tentative reports also linking ‘Money’ to a double announcement involving a September mega-fight with Manny Pacquiao.
The current two-weight world title holder has just four windows of opportunity left in his retirement deal with Showtime as Mayweather plans to leave the sport with a perfect 49-0 record in 2015.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN