Trainer Don Charles has exclusively told WBN that star fighter Dereck Chisora will pursue a touted shot at the European title after the EBU put ‘Del Boy’ forward as the mandatory challenger for the blue belt.
Charles once again cornered for Chisora last month as the Londoner got back to winning ways against Malik Scott and is now awaiting news on their next move from promoter Frank Warren – with a date of September 21 already formally announced.
“Frank Warren is in the process of bidding to secure the EBU title shot for Dereck and is hoping to win the bid,” Charles told World Boxing News.
“There are a number of fighters on our radar and Frank Warren has mapped out a route for Derek, all will be revealed in the near future.”
Chisora, 29, was initially put forward as mandatory challenger to Kubrat Pulev for the title he originally challenged for in 2011 against Robert Helenius, although the Bulgarian is now set for an IBF eliminator against Tony Thompson on August 24.
That meant the EBU were forced to push the purse bid back to August 27, but in all likeliness, Pulev will be moving on win or lose against Thompson, with Charles backing the current champion to secure a shot at the winner of Wladimir Klitschko v Alexander Povetkin.
“I believe the fight is now going ahead and I see Pulev scoring a TKO against Thompson. We can then see what happens with Dereck and the EBU,” said Charles.
Unbeaten American Deontay Wilder was due to meet Chisora over the summer until visa problems scuppered the clash and will now fight on home soil this month, leaving Chisora to pursue other options for his autumn return at the Copper Box.