Sauerland: Pulev v Thompson is signed, IBF approval is key
Promoter Kalle Sauerland has explained to WBN that a deal for Bulgarian heavyweight Kubrat Pulev to fight American Tony Thompson is already in place for August 24 and that only a sanctioning letter from the IBF is needed to formally announce the contest.
Pulev, 32, has been frustratingly seeking an opponent for his much-anticipated IBF heavyweight title final eliminator in recent months and Sauerland is now hopeful that 41 year-old veteran Thompson will be approved for the fight to be held in Germany next month.
“We have signed Pulev v Thompson for the August 24 date. However, we need an IBF approval that it will be a final eliminator,” Sauerland told World Boxing News.
“We respect the IBF greatly and have followed every rule in their book and have done so in writing, so we believe that the fight must be quickly sanctioned.
“Pulev had to wait around before when Tomasz Adamek refused to fight giving ridiculous reasons. Then Tyson Fury pulled out for reasons we can understand and this also cost us a further two months. Then Bryant Jennings and Alexander Dimitrenko declined in writing.
“All this has cost Pulev almost a year of activity as he was blocked from the fights. Now the IBF must act by the book and sanction this final eliminator.”
Sauerland turned to Thompson after watching the two-time world title challenger demolish David Price for second time in the UK earlier this month, but did confirm that the clash against ‘The Tiger’ would not be able to happen unless the IBF are on board.
“Pulev entered this final eliminator process by agreeing to fight Alexander Ustinov and then the winner of Cunningham v Adamek, so If we take any other fight than a sanctioned IBF fight, we will be out of the process,” said Kalle.