Miguel Vazquez back in the frame for Ricky Burns on May 11

Eddie Hearn has exclusively told World Boxing News that a unification for WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns is a once again a possibility when the Scot makes his Matchroom debut in May.

Burns, 29, was due to face IBF title-holder Miguel Vazquez previously under Frank Warren and Hearn is now attempting to resurrect the clash, putting the Mexican on a shortlist of two alongside WBO number one Jose A. Gonzalez.

“We are getting closer to confirming Ricky’s next opponent and it’s exciting times ahead,” Hearn told World Boxing News today.

“We are getting to the bottom of the Vazquez situation and I’d love to make that fight happen. Gonzalez is the current mandatory and an exciting dangerous fighter, so that’s also a real option.”

A two-belt battle between Burns and 26 year-old Vazquez would take precedent with the World Boxing Organisation if the fight gets past the negotiation stage and has the potential to be an explosive encounter in Glasgow – with Hearn delighted to have another world belt holder in his midst.

“We will establish our position and speak with the WBO regarding our plans,” said Hearn. “It’s an exciting time for us to be working closely with the WBO again. The belt means everything to Ricky and he looks forward to defending it with pride on May 11.

“This fight marks the beginning of big plans for Ricky in Scotland. We are going to build some huge nights around him and box him as frequently as possibly as we gear up for some career-defining nights.”.

Vazquez pulled out of the original March bout citing a stomach complaint, prompting the two-weight champion to switch promoters and Hearn would delight many disappointed fans if he can put the fight together again for the late spring.