20
Oct
2020

Manager: Mike Perez was never on David Price v Tony Thompson

Phil Jay 16/02/2013
Mike Perez

Joe Miranda

WBN have had it confirmed the Ireland-based Cuban heavyweight Mike Perez was never to appear on the undercard of David Price’s upcoming clash with former world title challenger Tony Thompson.

It was initially reported last month that Perez, 27, was set for a slot at the Echo Arena event. However, manager Patrick Thomas told WBN that ‘The Rebel’ was not lined up to fight anybody on the Liverpool bill.

“Mike was never on that card. We are trying hard to get him a fight, but no one wants to fight him. He is training hard at the moment,” Thomas told World Boxing News.

Southpaw Perez, who became the first Prizefighter – The Internationals champion in May 2011, has fought just once since in December of that same year and has been linked to bouts against some top-ranked opponents without anything materializing.

The latest of those fights was a possible bout with ex-world belt holder Ruslan Chagaev, which was due to take place last December, and it’s now a waiting game to see when the promising Perez will make his eagerly-awaited return to the ring.

A third installment of the eight-man tournament won by Perez takes place next Saturday night.

Phil Jay is Editor of WBN. An Auxiliary member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay.