Anthony Joshua OBE has committed his future to his loyal UK fight fans with his next two fights to be staged at Wembley Stadium connected by EE in London.
Joshua will defend his IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO crowns at the national stadium in the English capital on September 22 and will return to Wembley Stadium on April 13 next year for his 23rd pro fight.
The Heavyweight king has already set a post-war attendance record at the stadium when 90,000 fans filled Wembley Stadium to watch Joshua stop Wladimir Klitschko in the 11th round of their stunning battle last April.
The 28 year old has since filled Principality Stadium in Cardiff twice, defending his belts against Carlos Takam in October before unifying the division by taking Joseph Parker’s WBO belt in March – with the two events in the Welsh capital pulling in over 150,000 fans.
With two more sell-outs at Wembley Stadium expected, Joshua will have sold in excess of 400,000 tickets over five huge World title fights, and the fan favourite is thrilled to be back under the arch for his next two blockbuster nights.
James Taylor, Senior Commercial Manager, Wembley Stadium said: “Wembley Stadium is home to the biggest and best sporting events and it is fitting that one of the world’s leading sports stars returns to fight under its iconic arch.
“AJ’s last appearance at the national stadium was a record-breaking event which will be remembered as one of the highlights in the venue’s history. We look forward to welcoming Anthony and his thousands of fans back to Wembley for two huge fights in September and April.”
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan has ensured it will be possible to have capacity crowds at both events by working closely with Transport for London who will postpone planned engineering works and provide additional staff.
Sadiq Khan, said: “That incredible night last year when Anthony Joshua defeated Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley in front of a record crowd will go down as one of our city’s greatest sporting events.
“I am absolutely delighted that Wembley is set to host these next two chapters of AJ’s remarkable career. We have once again worked closely with Transport for London to make sure this can happen and to allow for tens of thousands of boxing fans to travel to Wembley Stadium for the fights.
“I have pledged to bring the biggest bouts in world boxing to London and these epic showdowns will cement London’s reputation as the best city in the world for top-class sport.”
An announcement on the opponent for Joshua’s clash in September and ticket details will be made next week.