EXCLUSIVE: Prince Patel claims WBO ranking with KO, open to WBSS

Prince Patel

Prince Patel has earned himself a world ranking following a fifth round knockout win over Mishiko Shubitidze in Budapest.

WBN had reported Patel possibly claiming the WBO European strap a week prior, although the fight was called off at the last minute, and the Briton blasted out Zsolt Kosis in just 21 seconds in his place.

Fast forward another seven days, and this time Patel was victorious against Shubitidze on Saturday night to put himself in the frame for a shot at the world bantamweight title.

With a top 15 ranking secured, Patel aims to build on a run of eleven straight wins since branching out further into Europe.

“I became WBO European champion on Saturday. I took a flight home Sunday. And I was back in the gym by Monday,” Patel exclusively told World Boxing News.

“I won via fifth-round knockout. I’m proud to be the new WBO European titleholder. I’m working towards winning another title soon.

“It was an honor to have former world champion Istvan ‘KoKo’ Kovacs hand me the belt after the fight,” he added.

PRINCE PATEL – WBSS

Patel could now be in line to participate in the recently-announced World Boxing Super Series tournament. Four spots are left open to future competitors.

WBO titleholder Zolani Tete and fellow world rulers Ryan Burnett and Manny Rodriguez will join Naoya Inoue should try the Japanese star defeat Jamie McDonnell this month.

That leaves another quartet of places up for grabs, and Patel would be willing to consider any approach from the Sauerland brothers to be drafted.

“I’m open to all offers around the world, World Boxing Super Series or anything else. But I understand some people would say I don’t deserve it,” Patel confirmed to WBN.

“I would love a shot at the WBSS. Everyone always thinks nothing of me. If I told u last year, I would have had 12 fights after leaving Frank Warren, collecting five belts along the way and a world ranking.

“You would have laughed at me, but I did it all by KO’s.

“Of course, I understand I don’t deserve to be in it, but I would love a shot, and the WBO ranking will help me in my future goals,” stated the 25 year-old.

The Gala draw for the 118-pound bracket will occur in July, with the quarter-finals penciled in for September.

Follow WBN on TWITTER. TIKTOK. FACEBOOK. INSTAGRAM. Subscribe to YOUTUBE.