Floyd Mayweather agreed UFC rematch before Conor McGregor fight
Former pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather had already agreed to fight Conor McGregor in an MMA return prior to their original meeting on August 26 of last year, says UFC President Dana White.
As rumors continue to grow and Mayweather teases fans with social media posts, White stated a deal was in place last year for the 40-year-old to make the transition.
“Floyd said leading up to the fight with Conor that he would do both. So we’ll see what happens,” White told UFC Tonight.
“Obviously, the only way making that fight again makes any sense is if he comes into the Octagon.
“We went over and boxed him, the UFC and Conor McGregor, and now it’s time for him to reciprocate and come and fight in the Octagon,” he added.
— FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) February 8, 2018
Many skeptics believe Mayweather has no intention of stepping inside a cage professionally in the future as the veteran bids to stay in the spotlight during his retirement.
On the other hand, some know the fight as a natural progression as a loss wouldn’t have any bearing on Mayweather’s 50-0 boxing record and could be worth up to half a billion dollars between the pair.
Recently, Sky Sports reporter Jim White claimed he’d been informed the clash would go ahead under MMA rules.
“My soundings are that there are a lot of talks going on in the background. There are a lot of talks around people with Mayweather,’ White said on talkSPORT.
“There are a lot of talks about him potentially having an MMA fight with McGregor. McGregor had no chance in a boxing match with Mayweather.
“People will tune in to see Mayweather get stopped by Conor McGregor. It won’t affect his boxing record.
“I think it’s going to happen. I think it will be a three, four, five hundred million dollar fight again,” he added.
It seems speculation is set to run and run, as a summer ‘Mayweather v McGregor 2’ becomes more plausible as time goes on.