Tyson Fury has graciously accepted the decision to relieve him of the Ring Magazine title by Editor-in-Chief Dougie Fisher and his team.
Fischer outlined his demands for Fury to keep the belt earlier this year, and with the 29 year-old no nearer to announcing his comeback, The Ring acted to strip the lineal champion.
In his usual way, Fury took to Twitter in response. He said: “Just like to thank the @ringmagazine for being so patient with me over the last few years.
“This will be the first time since 1922 that The Ring Magazine will split from the heavyweight lineage.
“Tyson fury always setting precedences,” he added.
Just like to thank the @ringmagazine for being so patient with me over the last few years. this will be the first time since 1922 that the ring magazine will split from the heavyweight lineage. Tyson fury always setting precedences. ???????? https://t.co/fJR0MKDsTN
— TYSON2FASTFURY (@Tyson_Fury) February 1, 2018
The Ring won’t be sanctioning the Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker clash as expected, which is set for March 31 and has four heavyweight belts on the line.
Instead, Fischer and The Ring will wait until the winner faces Deontay Wilder before allowing their title to be contested again.
“For the record, the vacant RING heavyweight championship will not be on the line in the IBF, WBA and WBO title unification bout between Anthony Joshua and Joseph Parker, which takes place in Cardiff, Wales, on March 31. Joshua and Parker are rated No. 1 and No. 3 by THE RING respectively,” said Fischer.
“There have been occasions when a vacant RING championship has been contested between No. 1- and No. 3-rated contenders. However, after careful consideration, we do not feel Joshua-Parker qualifies.
“At this time, THE RING ratings panel unanimously believe that Deontay Wilder is the second-best heavyweight in the world on merit,” read a Ring Magazine statement on Fury.