World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman says he would be willing to put the possibility of having the WBC Diamond super-welterweight title on the line for the upcoming cross-codes clash between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor to the WBC board members.
When Mayweather left boxing in September 2015, the WBC awarded the then Pound for Pound king ‘Emeritus Champion’ status which allows the American an immediate shot at either the 147 or 154 champion upon his return.
Even though the 40 year-old has gone down an entirely different route in taking on a UFC fighter without a boxing match to his name, Sulaiman wouldn’t rule out awarding the August 26 match-up ‘Diamond title’ status.
“Maybe, I don’t know. I’m not against it. Of course this is a WBC board decision but we have to celebrate that boxing is having world attention regardless,” Sulaiman told ESPN.
“Mayweather retired as champion so he was awarded the champion emeritus and we never thought he would return to boxing.
“He was great, retired a millionaire and was a great icon for the sport. Now he has decided to return and fight a mixed martial arts superstar so it is difficult to evaluate.
“When you have a Muay Thai fighter in Thailand, they make their career and then they jump into international boxing and many have been very successful.
“McGregor has been successful in MMA but in boxing rules it’s going to be a very difficult challenge for him.”
Recently, the WBC had a belt especially made for the Canelo Alvarez v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. fight in Las Vegas and have santction bouts previously with their Diamond title on the line.
As Mayweather v McGregor hasn’t been received well in some quarters, it’s understood there is still a way to go until the WBC do announce their involvment in the blockbuster Pay-Per-View encounter.