The World Boxing Organisation could be set to strip heavyweight champion Tyson Fury for a second Wladimir Klitschko pull-out unless they are given more information on the situation.
Fury, 27, has blamed ‘mental issues’ for another cancellation of his mandated fight with Klitschko, leading to speculation that the three-belt title holder could lose his status as world ruler.
In a statement on Friday, promoter Mick Hennessy said: “Tyson has, this week, been declared medically unfit to fight.
“Medical specialists have advised that the condition is too severe to allow him to participate in the rematch and that he will require treatment before going back into the ring.
“Tyson will now immediately undergo the treatment he needs to make a full recovery.
“We and Tyson wish to express our sincerest apologies to all those concerned with the event and all the boxing fans who had been looking forward to the rematch.
“Tyson is understandably devastated by the development.
“We will be making a further statement in due course. Until then, we ask that Tyson and his family be given the privacy and the space he needs to recover during this difficult time.”
The WBA were asked on Sunday if Fury could be stripped of his belt to allow Klitschko the opportunity to fight for his old championship, to which they replied: “It is a possibility that Tyson Fury could lose his title but we don’t have any official communication from Hennessy Sports on his medicals,” President Gilberto Mendoza exclusively told World Boxing News.
“Once we receive the information we need, we will make a decision moving forward,” he added.
Klitschko, 40, has already been linked to a potential crack at the IBF belt against Anthony Joshua this November, a fight that could also be sanctioned for the WBA, WBO and/or IBO title if Fury is eventually relieved of the straps.