Deontay Wilder’s manager and trainer Jay Deas has informed WBN that the forthcoming mandatory defense against tough Russian Alexander Povetkin is over half way towards completion.
WBC heavyweight champion Wilder was informed by WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman he must face Povetkin before the summer and Deas says dates and potential venues for the highly-anticipated clash are being worked out as we speak.
“I’d say currently we are over fifty percent of the way there,” Deas exclusively told World Boxing News.
“I know there is interest from New York and Moscow, but also Las Vegas, Alabama and Mississipi are all being considered to stage the fight.
“We believe the fight will happen sometime between April 30 and June 7 – although May seems an ideal month for us as we would like it to happen the earlier, the better.
“Deontay is ready to get in the ring and continue being the most active heavyweight champion in almost two decades,” he added.
Wilder, 30, holds one of the most envious records in all of boxing with 36 wins and 35 stoppages to his credit. ‘The Bronze Bomber’ recently obliterated rugged Pole Artur Szpilka in an entertaining New York battle and is ready to up his quest to unify the division over the next eighteen months.
For Povetkin, the bout represents a chance for the ex-Olympic gold medallist to secure his place back amongst the elite, having previously reigned as WBA title holder for two years between 2011 and 2013.
The 36 year-old was eventually defeated by an in-form Wladimir Klitschko in a bruising encounter on home soil in Moscow after being dropped four times at the Olimpiyskiy in a multi-million dollar event.
Klitschko’s win remains the only reverse on Povetkin’s 31-fight record.