The 29 year-old from Saint Louis heads to London less than three months after claiming Tyson Fury’s old belt in a bid to halt the rise of undefeated former Olympic gold medallist Anthony Joshua on April 9.
Borao initially told WBN that Martin was willing to face Joshua in Britain in the aftermath of his greatest career victory over Vyacheslav Glazkov last month and sees the doors opening up to more major fights with victory over the big-punching Brit.
“Charles Martin is already world champion, but traveling to the UK gives him the opportunity to tap into a massive UK fan base,” Borao exclusively told World Boxing News.
“The UK heavyweight scene is hot right now and there are possibly two or three very exciting fights to be made after Joshua, so why not?”
Promoter Leon Margues spent the last few days conducting the finer points of the deal with Joshua’s handler Eddie Hearn and stated that negotiations went relatively easy leading up to Sunday’s official announcement.
“Obviously, talks to make Charles Martin v Anthony Joshua went well as we made a deal. Smooth might be a good way to describe them,” said Margules.
“It’s a great fight between two large heavyweights who can both really punch and should make for an explosive fight,” he added.
The O2 Arena will hold up to 17,000 fans on fight night for a match-up that will net both fighters millions of pounds from the Sky Sports Box Office HD pay-per-view already in place.
The winner could then face former and current world title holders David Haye or Tyson Fury towards the back end of 2016.