The finalisation of a mandatory clash between IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook and challenger Kevin Bizier should be concluded by Wednesday at the latest, according to the International Boxing Federation.
Chairman Lindsey Tucker informed WBN that a deal between the two pair was on the verge of completion a fortnight ago and that doesn’t seem to be altering before the imminent deadline set aside by the organisation previously.
“The 30 day negotiations period is over on December 23, 2015, and I was told a couple of weeks ago that they were close to reaching a deal,” Tucker told World Boxing News.
“I don’t know where that stands now, but I should know by Wednesday. Worst case scenario, we call for a Purse Bid.”
Either way, more should come to light on Brook v Bizier in the coming days as both sides put the finishing touches to what was a largely unexpected contest when WBN revealed a meeting had been set up for discussions late last month.
Brook was due to face Argentinian Diego Chaves in a tough defense on paper but suffered an injury which ended any hopes of getting the fight made. ‘The Special One’ and his promoter Eddie Hearn then turned their attention to fulfilling obligations to the IBF’s number one contender Bizier in a bid to pave the way for a potential PPV clash with Amir Khan in the summer.
Should the title holder come through Bizier as expected, a massive Sky Sports Box Office battle with Khan – which is years in the making and comes with some needle, could become a reality for Wembley Stadium once both sides are happy with their respective agreement.