31
Oct
2020

Exclusive: Shane Mosley outlines possible Liam Smith deal-breaker

Phil Jay 27/10/2015

Shane Mosley has joked to WBN that a return clause in his potential clash with Liam Smith is unnecessary as he usually doesn’t travel well.

The 44 year-old made the remark as he updated WBN on the current negotiations for a possible 23rd world title fight against Smith, who is set to make a first defense of his new WBO super welterweight belt on December 19 in Manchester.

Three-weight world champion Mosley was approached following an exchange of words with Smith on social media and says a deal can be made if the terms of an immediate second fight are relaxed on the part of promoter Frank Warren.

“In my experience immediate rematches usually end in a double L,” Mosley exclusively told World Boxing News.

“I’m not sure Frank Warren is smart to make that a possible deal-breaker. He should also think that every time I fight outside the U.S I lose and don’t do well with jetlag,” he laughed.

But all joking aside, Mosley explained to WBN that he does want the fight with Smith, but an already agreed contest in early 2016 at welterweight would make a return with the Briton within months an impossible task.

“I could take the fight in December, win and not make a defense of the belt until I face Smith in the rematch, but the earliest I can do that second fight is November 2016,” said Mosley.

“I am fighting at welterweight anyway, so putting the belt up wouldn’t be a problem and we would then have to then arrange the rematch with Smith once that fight is done. But as I already said that would be November time.”

Mosley previously stated to WBN that without the rematch clause the Smith fight would 100% go ahead, although discussions are now precarious as Warren aims to nail down an opponent for the Manchester Arena bout as soon as possible.