24
Sep
2020

David Haye to announce comeback, wants to trade with the ‘big boys’

Phil Jay 12/09/2015

Former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye says a return to the ring is imminent following over three years in dormant semi-retirement.

The 35 year-old hasn’t fought since halting Dereck Chisora in five rounds of their 2012 grudge match at Upton Park in London and has been dogged with injuries during the latter part of his career.

A one-time undisputed cruiserweight king, Haye had been tipped to regain the top division crown on the back of his last victory, although a potential gateway fight with Tyson Fury collapsed on two occasions.

The latter was due to a serious shoulder problem that required career-threatening surgery, although Haye outlined that he has kept himself in sufficient shape throughout his hiatus and now wants to launch a return.

“It’s over three years now that I haven’t been in the ring but I’ve been looking after myself,” Haye told Sky Sports News HQ.

“It’s well documented that I’ve had many injuries, shoulder injuries. I’ve just been working hard behind closed doors, training, making sure that if and when I make this comeback I’m not going to have other injuries.

“I’ve been really working on my foundations so when I do make this comeback I don’t have to have six months to a year between fights, recovering from injuries.

“I want to make this last run my best – I’ll have an announcement soon. I’m in a really good place physically and mentally.”

One future target for the ‘Hayemaker’ could be Olympic gold medallist Anthony Joshua, who himself aims to win the Commonwealth title in London on Saturday night against Gary Cornish following an eye-catching switch to the pro ranks.

“It’s been nice sitting back and watching these guys come through. In the time I’ve been out Anthony Joshua has had his whole career,” said Haye.

“But now I want to get involved – I want to get back in it and start trading blows with some of these big boys.”