Amir Khan has hit back at claims by rival Kell Brook and promoter Eddie Hearn that the former 140 world champion is avoiding an all-British clash with the IBF title holder in June.
Brook and Hearn called out Khan live on Sky Sports for a huge domestic battle at Wembley Stadium in the summer, although the former Olympic silver medallist claims he had already turned the fight down before they made their very public statement.
“My team spoke to Eddie two weeks ago and he knew June 13 is a no. And they still called me out. (it’s) Pathetic,” said Khan.
“This can be the biggest fight UK has ever seen and you want to do it all in two months?”
Khan is known to be aiming to face the winner of Floyd Mayweather v Manny Pacquiao on May 2 and says keeping a fight with Brook on the boil will only add to the interest and make the fight more lucrative for all parties involved.
“Let’s say (Brook) beats a (Juan Manuel) Marquez, (Marcos) Maidana, (Brandon) Rios or even stops (Devon) Alexander next or any other top fighter, our fight will be even bigger,” he predicted.
“They’re doing a very good job making the public believe I don’t want the fight, trust me I do! Keep building the hype because winner takes all!”
On his next opponent, Khan then added: “I’m done, already given my word to a fighter, will be announcing my next fight very soon.”