Light-welterweight contender Emanuel Taylor aims to build on his impressive win over Karim Mayfield in June by inflicting a second defeat on Adrien ‘The Problem’ Broner in Cincinatti next month.
The 23 year-old, who holds 18 wins from 20 bouts, steps up a level for the biggest test of his career at the US Bank Arena and says he was a little surprised to get the call so soon after the Mayfield victory.
“The Broner fight came about when my father called my phone like four days after my win against Karim and said Adrien had called me out,” Taylor explained to World Boxing News.
“I didn’t know what Broner had been saying, so I went online and saw he was talking with his people about fighting me on September 6th. I had no idea until I read what was online, but I knew I would take it as I am always ready to fight.
“To have the fight done now feels amazingly good. Just to be involved in a big fight like this and to know I am considered to be a top dog as these other top contenders out here. I am a problem to those other fighter’s too, but they just don’t know yet. I liked being unknown, but now this fight is on and come September 6 they will all know me for sure.”
Broner, 25, has struggled to make a huge impact since making the move from his all-conquering reign at lightweight to 147lbs, having debatably beaten Paulie Malignaggi, before suffering a demoralising defeat to Marcos Maidana. ‘The Problem’ has since dropped back down to 140lbs and didn’t really need to get out of second gear to defeat Carlos Molina in May, although Taylor says he has what it takes to disrupt Broner to take the opportunity that has presented itself.
“My best will definitely come out against Broner,” said Taylor. “He’s flatfooted and will be there to be hit.
“I am a sharpshooter, but even when I wasn’t at my best in the Mayfield fight I still managed to win. I was up for 33 straight hours with my wife in labour before the fight and I didn’t leave the hospital till like midnight, but I made it to New York on the day of the weigh-in.
“Like I said though, I am always ready no matter what the circumstances are and I will take my chance against Broner.”
The two losses currently on Taylor’s C.V came against Prenice Brewer in a hotly-debated split decision back in 2011, followed by a reverse against current WBO title holder Chris Algieri in February.
“I have only really lost once as my first defeat was a robbery. I clearly beat Prenice Brewer, so I really don’t count that as a loss. However, the Algieri loss I won’t be making no excuses for as my timing was off and wasn’t active in boxing for almost a year before that fight. I’d say that was the biggest impact on that fight because I like to stay busy and that’s exactly what I’m doing this year. Take nothing away from Algieri as he was a mover and didn’t just stand there as he knew my power, but unlike Algieri, Broner will be there to hit as he’s not a mover.
“Also, in the Maidana fight I see he can freeze up under pressure as he cannot handle pressure at all. Maidana exposed Broner’s chin and I know that he can’t deal with power which I plan on taking advantage of. Broner likes to trash talk too, but that doesn’t mean anything at the end of the day and we have to fight. It will just be me and him in the ring and his mouth isn’t going to win him the fight. I don’t talk trash, I let my hands do the talking.
“He gave it so much talk when he moved up from 135 to 147, but it showed that he absolutely moved up entirely too fast and had to move back down because he doesn’t have that power at 147 to beat anyone. if Paulie (Malignaggi) had power when they fought he would of been done in that fight.”
On how people’s perceptions of him may change and who could be next if he can overhaul Broner in September, Taylor added: “A win against Broner will change my whole life and my career will take flight. I will be the new face in boxing in the 140 division and will be someone to be reckoned with. Everyone will definitely know me after this Broner win, but I’d absolutely love to take a rematch against Algieri for his WBO title. It stays in my mind that I fought the wrong fight that night and I want that chance back.
“Tune in to my fight on Showtime as it will be a fight you don’t want miss and everyone can also follow me on Twitter: @successmanny and on Instagram: Tranzformaa, thank you,” he added.
Also on the bill that night will be another light-welterweight tussle between Lucas Matthysse and Roberto Ortiz, whilst former 147 champion Andre Berto is scheduled to make his comeback from back-to-back losses in Ohio.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN