Van Heerden backs Cotto over Martinez following sparring session
Former IBO welterweight champion Chris Van Heerden is predicting a big win for Miguel Cotto over Sergio Martinez on June 7 after the pair shared the ring in training this week.
Van Heerden, 26, has been getting to work with 33 year-old Cotto as the Puerto Rican prepares to challenge for a fourth world title in different weight divisions against Martinez at Madison Square Garden, and the South African is confident ‘Junito’ is in great shape to gain the victory.
“It was an honour for my to be in the ring with Cotto,” Van Heerden told World Boxing News.
“It was amazing and it’s something no one can take away from me as he is a legend of the sport.
“On what I have seen, I believe he has everything to overcome Martinez. He looks great in there, he is hungry, strong and has a positive spirit.”
‘The Heat’ is two for two since making the big decision to move to the US in December, having overcome the experienced Ray Narh via split decision earlier this month at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica.
The Southpaw is now readying himself for a third outing in the summer and says working with the likes of Cotto and his trainer Freddie Roach will only serve to improve him as a fighter for a potential future world title shot.
“Being in the same ring as Cotto you have to pick up tips in there,” said Van Heerden. “I had a chat with Freddie and he was very happy with my work in the ring.
“I feel everything is going well over here and I expect to be out again towards the end of June.”
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN