22
Sep
2020

Schaefer: Porter v Brook talks to begin, no way it happens on Canelo v Lara

Phil Jay 24/04/2014

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has exclusively told WBN that the IBF welterweight title clash between Shawn Porter and mandatory challenger Kell Brook will not be taking place on June 7 at the MGM Grand.

Reports in the media had suggested that Porter could defend his belt against the British number one contender on the undercard of the high-profile light-middleweight bout featuring Saul Alvarez and Erislandy Lara, although Schaefer was swift to shoot down the rumours on Thursday.

“I have a meeting scheduled at the end of next week with Team Porter and Al Haymon, but there is no way that the Porter v Brook fight will be on Canelo v Lara,” Schaefer told World Boxing News.

Porter, 26, made an impressive first defence of his red belt against Paulie Malignaggi earlier this month when ‘Showtime’ pounced on the ex-world champion from the off to force a fourth round stoppage.

The IBF have been forthright in stipulating that Brook is the next in line in the coming months as the Sheffield fighter has already missed out on two world title challenges due to injuries to himself and his opponents.

With the American raising his stock significantly over the past few months, there has also been speculation that Porter may be in the running to face some of the more well-known fighter’s Stateside, something Schaefer responded to bluntly.

“The Brook fight will happen as Porter will not give up his title,” he added.

Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN