Randy Caballero: Kohei Oba win leads me to my next victim, Stuart Hall
Golden Boy protégé and bantamweight contender Randy Caballero is nearing the defining night of his career so far when the Californian battles Kohei Oba in the Japanese fighter’s own backyard on Friday.
Caballero, 23, is highly-touted as a future multi-weight star after amassing an impressive 20-0 record (12 KO’s) since turning professional in 2010 on the back of what was a stellar amateur 167-10 career.
The Coachella-native now heads into the lion’s den of the Sambo Hall in Kobe at the end of this week knowing that a victory puts him as the mandatory challenger to current IBF champion Stuart Hall.
“Taking this fight hasn’t worried me at all as I was excited to flight to a different country,” Caballero told World Boxing News ahead of his first bout outside the USA.
“I have all ways dreamt of going to other places and doing something I love doing and that is getting in the ring and beating opponents.
“We know that Oba is a tough fighter and that he is going to give it his all, not only because we are coming to his hometown, but because this is an eliminator fight for a world title.”
At 29, Oba is vastly more experienced than Caballero having fought 38 times and lost just twice, although both fighter’s are yet to move into world championship level and that means the away boxer starts as a heavy favourite.
High expectations don’t worry Cabellero though as his pre-paid years with the head-guard alerted the attention of Golden Boy in the first place, and ‘El Matador’ now stands on the verge of reaching his first main goal in the sport.
“Of course this is a big step up for me and every opponent from here on out will be because we are going for that world title shot, but I’m not going to take anything away from Oba.
“We have a chance to fight for the world title and I won’t lose the opportunity. It’s my turn and I am not letting anyone or anything get in the way of that.
“We know he cant fight and he tries to keep opponents away using the jab, but we have our tactics to do what it takes to win. Oba wants fighter’s to follow him, but I will not fall for his gameplan and I will make sure he gets stuck into mine.
“This is a dream in the making for me and after winning this fight on Friday night we will get the shot for the world title. I’m excited and like I said; I am not letting this opportunity slip away.”
If the fight goes as the odds suggest in Hyogo, a mouth-watering contest with Briton Stuart Hall will be stipulated by the IBF for the summer and Caballero has no qualms in travelling again to win the red belt in the UK.
“Although I did not see the fight between Stuart Hall and Martin Ward, I heard about it because I was travelling to Japan,” said Caballero.
“It was a shame the way it ended, but I really didn’t care which guy won the fight as I just know one of them is going to be my next victim. I don’t care where the fight takes place, as once we step in the ring its just me and that other fighter so the crowd will not help him.
“If I have to go to the UK that’s fine as I am making sure I come out with that win and as a world champion that night.”
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN