‘Big Bang’ Casey to fight McCullough at 126lbs on Frampton v Parodi
Former world super-bantamweight title challenger Willie Casey is moving up to featherweight for his next outing at the Irishman locks horns with Marco McCullough on October 19 in Belfast.
The fight at the Odyssey Arena is initially said to be an eight-rounder, with 31 year-old Casey returning to the ring for the first time since his decision victory over Jason Booth in Sunderland over the summer of 2012.
Casey (14-2, 9 KO’s) was defeated by Guillermo Rigondeaux in just one round when challenging the now pound for pound ranked Cuban for the interim WBA belt in 2011 and has since lost to Andreas Evensen whilst scoring two stoppage wins inbetween.
“I’m glad to announce I have accepted an offer to fight Marco McCullough at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast on the Carl Frampton undercard on 19th of October,” said Casey.
“I will have to move up to featherweight but I’m delighted to have a fight that will motivate me enough to leave the wife and kids to go to training camp. Hopefully it could be for a title aswell and will set me on my way back up the rankings where I belong.”
Opponent McCullough, 23, has only been beaten once in his career so far in eight contests and defeated Noel O’Brien in three rounds last May. The Belfast fighter boasts four stoppages in total.
The main event features undefeated Carl Frampton defending his European super-bantamweight belt belt against Frenchman Jeremy Parodi as ‘The Jackal’ edges towards a potential world title shot.