The 29 year-old, who has rushed to hospital following a knockout loss at Ice Sheffield twelve days ago, had been in an induced coma for days until making startling improvements recently.
Coldwell had previously stated that Wilson had opened his eyes and made movements, but that has now turned into more significant gestures and the ability to take in and process what is being said to and around him.
‘I can’t believe I have just had a conversation with Jerome Wilson,” said Coldwell on Tuesday, before following it up with: “He’s sat up, understands what is said to him, and even keeps trying to lift himself off the chair. Making unbelievable progress today!
“I can’t believe that he even apologized to me and asked me If I enjoyed the show. He brought us to tears. He is showing such determination. I am so proud of this warrior!”
Coldwell also informed Wilson of the UK boxing world’s fundraising efforts since the incident on September 12. He was able to give a smile back as the likable boxer continues his recovery.
In early October, Wilson was visited by fellow-pro, Ross Burkinshaw.
He was delighted with the backing he has received from the entire UK boxing community and big pal Burkinshaw, a driving force in Wilson’s fundraising attempts.
The 28 year-old won the coveted 118lb strap via a split decision over Jason Cunningham at the Doncaster Dome after coming in at late notice last month. He has stated that he will dedicate his first title defense to Wilson.
“Jerome is so thankful and happy with all the support he has received and is so positive about the future,” Burkinshaw told World Boxing News.
“He is an inspiration to me for what he has done and has made me promise to defend my belt for him, which I certainly will do.”
Burkinshaw, nicknamed ‘The Boss,’ is right in the mix to face some of the bigger names in the division after putting together a four-fight winning streak since losing out to Gavin McDonnell in July 2013.