Nevada State Athletic Commission chief Bob Bennett has informed WBN an investigation has begun into the findings from a recent drug test involving Canelo Alvarez.
Golden Boy Promotions revealed on Monday that the former two-weight world title holder tested positive for Clenbuterol through contaminated meat, leading to initial question marks over a rematch with Gennady Golovkin scheduled for May 5th.
“As part of the voluntary testing program that Canelo Alvarez insisted on ahead of his May 5 fight, one of his results came back positive for trace levels of Clenbuterol, consistent with meat contamination that has impacted dozens of athletes in Mexico over the last years,” read the GBP statement.
“As Daniel Eichner, Director of SMRTL, the WADA-accredited lab that conducted the tests stated in his letter today.
“These values are all within the range of what is expected from meat contamination,” said Eichner.
Despite only a small amount being detected, some in the boxing world are calling for action, although Bennett would only go so far as to confirm the NSAC are looking into the matter.
“We have received the adverse analytical findings from VADA regarding Mr. Alvarez,” Bennett exclusively told World Boxing News.
“As per our standard operating procedures, we are moving forward with our investigation.
“Accordingly, it would be premature for me to make any additional statements at this time,” he added.
Canelo has already protested his innocence, whilst the super-fight against middleweight king Golovkin remains a go for the T-Mobile Arena on Cinco de Mayo – as things currently stand.
“I am an athlete who respects the sport and this surprises me and bothers me because it had never happened to me,” stated the Mexican star.
“I will submit to all the tests that require me to clarify this embarrassing situation and I trust that at the end the truth will prevail.”
‘GGG’ has maintained a dignified silence thus far, but with only traces of the substance in Canelo’s system, it seems unlikely such a high profile clash will be scrapped.
Oscar De La Hoya has already put procedures in place to move Canelo to a United States camp, along with agreeing to sterner testing for the 27 year-old throughout the rest of his training.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay